Friday, February 25, 2011

Tattoos and the Reasons Why

I got my first tattoo when I was eighteen and still in high school.  They warned me when I got my first one that they were addictive, and that soon I would be back for more.  I scoffed at this suggestion, like most eighteen year olds do. 

But in the end, they were right.

When my dad found out that the sun on the inside of my ankle was real and not a temporary tattoo, he called me an asshole and didn’t speak to me for two weeks. 

I didn’t get my second tattoo until ten years later and then it was another three years before the next. 

I’m about to get my seventh tattoo this weekend. 

Over the years I’ve gotten mixed reactions on them.  People either love tattoos, would love to have tattoos, or they loathe them.  Like, psychotically loathe them. 

Now here’s the thing.  I don’t begrudge anyone for their opinions about tattoos.  Quite the contrary – we’re all allowed our opinions.  However, much like in everything else in life, just because you have an opinion does not make that opinion fact.  Because you like/don’t like tattoos does not make that opinion universal.  And yes, I am aware that they are permanent, and when I am an old woman I will still have these designs under my skin.

If you hate them – super duper.  Just don’t begrudge me mine.  Or judge me for them.  Or look at me down the length of your nose as if I’m a lesser being for expressing myself in such a way.  Tattooing goes back thousands of years and has become extremely popular over the years.  My one lament is that perhaps people don’t always put a ton of thought into the designs they choose for themselves, such as the overwhelming number of Tazmanian Devil tattoos, but to each their own.  

My tattoos are part of who I am – part of the essence of who I am.  This thought process doesn’t always apply to everyone who gets them (read: Popeye, Tweety Bird, Taz, the list goes on) – but then again, maybe it does. 

The designs I’ve chosen over the years have all been significant to me, to my own journey through life.  My tattoos help to tell the story of who I am, of what’s crucial and important to me. 

My first tattoo at eighteen was, as I mentioned, a sun.  The significance behind that choice was that the sun is the sustainer of life.  The year prior, I spent two weeks in the hospital and two months out of school with meningitis.  I almost died.  It was the same illness that had killed my younger brother years before.  Living through that gave me an appreciation for life, for treasuring each day I was granted.  Hence, my tattoo choice. 

The second one I got may seem at the outset to be a “nerd” tattoo.  It’s a pseudo-Celtic knot design which actually comes from Doctor Who (for any Whovians, it’s the Seal of Rassilon).  The choice here was because I really liked the design but also, it represented my friendship/relationship with my now ex-husband.  Despite the fact that we’ve been divorced for approaching six years, his friendship was – and is – still very important to me.  He added a lot to my life and who I am as a person.  I am glad though that I didn’t get his name.  That would have been a bit much. 

I got my third tattoo a few months after my son was born.  It’s the zodiac signs for me, my husband and my son, a nice representation of my family, the absolute most important facet of who I am and my highest priority. 

Fourth were roman numerals of two years – 1979 and 1984 – for the year my brother was born and the year he died. His life and the loss of it contributed more than I can describe to the person I am today.

Fifth was a phoenix.  The significance is obvious, though I did once explain it to my boss as “rising above personal bullshit”, which is, I think, sort of crassly elegant and succinct. 

I almost lost track here and had to mentally recount them all by placement.  Is that a sign that I have too many?

The sixth and most recent is the phrase “Illegitimi Non Carborundum”, which is mock Latin for “Don’t let the bastards grind you down”.  It’s close to a phrase from Margaret Atwood’s “Handmaid’s Tale” and was something a friend of mine posted online that just stuck with me.  Words have power.  And these words, having these words inked on my skin, have been extremely helpful and extraordinarily empowering in reminding me to hold my head high, no matter what those surrounding me say or do.  It helps me to rise above more bullshit. 

These words and images are a physical and outer manifestation of who I am on the inside, something I’m not always adept at conveying.  They represent important events and people in my life so far. 

There’s always the question of “When will you be done?”  In truth – I don’t know.  I’ll be done with tattoos when I feel I’m done.  And I can’t give more of an answer than that. 

Of course, another prickly point with this subject is the fact that I’m a girl.  And evidently, according to some social guidelines to which I hold no allegiance, girls should not have so many tattoos. 

To that line of thinking I’d like to give a proper, “Go pound sand”.

Personally, I’m not over-fond of the notion that, because I happen to be a girl (woman), there are certain things I should or should not do.  I don’t necessarily need to blaze a trail but please don’t put your standards on me. 

I do have the presence of mind, given the stigma attached to tattoos in general, to place them on my body where they can be, if the need arises, hidden.  Bracelets, long hair, shoes that cover the top of my feet, and general clothing mask them all. 

I have tattoos but am not in a gang.  I have never been to prison.  I don’t own a motorcycle.  I don’t believe they truly make me any less of a woman.  I have no desire to tattoo a puzzle onto my face or get as many as Kat Von D but again, those were their choices.  I may or may not agree with them but I can’t say as I would call anyone an asshole for getting a tattoo.

I’d call someone an asshole for running a red light, shoplifting, or in general doing something bad.  I don’t believe that tattoos make you bad.  My only recommendation is to think about what you’re getting before you get it.  That’s all.  Beyond that, you’re on your own. 

I would absolutely love – LOVE! – to get the thoughts/opinions/experiences of others who do and don’t have tattoos and those who hate them.  It’s not a hot button issue in this country – hell, don’t we have enough other problems these days for sure – but just something that, for some reason, I felt compelled to write a little dissertation on.  Cuz that’s what I do. 

11 comments:

  1. My darling Sophia,
    I LOVE and covet several of your tattoos. You have made wonderful choices and all are brilliantly placed. I have two (for now). I didn't get my first one until I was 32. I have absolutely no regrets. The second one I got over the summer. I'm currently narrowing down choices for my third (what and where). It is such a personal choice. I hate it when you run into someone who HATES tattoos and treats you like a dirtbag because you have one (or more). Really? It's MY skin, not yours. If you don't like tattoos, don't get one. However, do not make me feel like I'm a less serious, professional or classy because I have skin ART. I don't like the way most people dress or wear their hair, but I don't point out these choices as representative of their personality (much). I'm looking forward to Saturday night when I get to witness your latest addition. Be a good friend and don't let me get an impulse tattoo.
    Love,
    Blanche

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blanche (Tina),
    You bring up a very good point (and one which I'm sure Chris, were he to read this, would be miffed I forgot it) - they ARE art. A very important thing to keep in mind that evidently escaped mine this morning.
    And as far as impulse tattoos - I guarantee nothing.
    - Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better myself, Jen. In fact, I can't really think of much to add. Except this... I remember years ago I read something about, I think it was Michaelangelo... that he would stare at the blocks of stone he was going to sculpt for days or weeks before beginning to work on them, trying to see the shape that already existed within the medium, so he could release it. I've always thought of my tattoos as something like that... art that releases something that was already there beneath my skin so everyone can see it. Maybe that's kind of corny. But I feel like it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not corny at all Morgan. I think that's actually pretty brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I most likely would have had one long ago if not for the fact that I have not been able to think of any image I would want on my skin for the rest of my life. And as my father has tattoos, I grew up around them. So, will I ever get one? Probably not, but I'm not opposed to the idea, should one strike me and I wouldn't judge my friends for theirs, either. Just no shamrocks on your face or Chicks Ahoy book covers on your back, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Uncle Johnny has tattoos and as a child we would play tattoo parlor. I would color in his tattoos and he would draw different things on me. When I told my mom that I wanted to get a tattoo she was less than thrilled to say the least. "So what are you gonna get?" I described this intricate dragon that stared with the head across my chest, the neck going over my shoulder, the body down my entire back, and ending with the tail wrapping all the way down my leg. Told her this for months before I got my first tattoo, a small bear on my shoulder. She saw it and was relieved. However she still asks after ever tattoo if this one is the last...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are SUPER addictive...got my first at 18, then 2 weeks later got my 2nd, the a month later my 3rd, 6 months later, 4th...now at 27 I have 8. I personally love them and would get more, but I'd have to sell a kid, and I'm kind of attached to them, a little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!
    As much as I love tattoos, I certainly wouldn't condone selling your children.
    Maybe we should hold a bake sale to fund your 9th?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really never knew that there was this much hatred against tattoos. I don't mind them. I don't know if I will get one or not. I find it pretty ridiculous that people are judged by the tattoos they have or even that they have tattoos in the first place. I totally agree with Jen and everybody who commented so far.

    --Pri T. (student at a school Jen visited. The one with the glasses who talked about the Highlanders' series in Highland)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pri - Thanks. Tattoos seem to me to be a pretty silly thing for people to get uppity about, but people get uppity about stupid things more often than not. I appreciate your open-mindedness, we certainly need more of that in this world.

    And of course I remember who you are! Rock on with the Highlander books!

    ReplyDelete